Historical Reports & Articles
Below are featured articles, reports, releases and surveys on issues covering glass container recycling, jobs, and the environment. Click the link to download the pdf document.
GPI President Lynn Bragg discusses how the US glass container industry has partnered with the glass recycling supply chain in an effort to, ultimately, boost the commodity value of glass.
June 24, 2015 - GPI Encourages Glass Recycling for Baton Rouge, LA
In June 2015, the Department of Energy (DoE) issued a long awaited Report to Congress, and accompanying Study, which highlights both recycling collection and related sorting processes, and how using recycled glass in the manufacturing process reduces energy use at glass container manufacturing facilities. Click here to read the GPI 1-Pager, highlighting the relevant sections pertaining to glass recycling.
Container Deposit Refund Systems
- Resource Recycling Systems (RRS), Optimized Bottle Bill (OBB) Study, January 2014
- "A Special Report on the Environment and Economic Benefits of Vermont's Bottle Bill" (February 28, 2013)
- “Shop Where You Drop: A Survey of Consumer Bottle Return Habits” (February 4, 2013)
- “More Bottles, More Jobs: A Survey of Redemption Centers in New York State” (February 4, 2013)
Single-Stream Recycling Collection Systems
- "The Battle for Recycling" (February 2013)
- “Single Stream Recycling: A Common Theme” (February 2012)
- “Understanding Economic and Environmental Impacts of Single-Stream Collection Systems” (December 2009) 2009 study conducted for the Container Recycling Institute
- Single Stream Recycling Best Practices Implementation Guide (January 2007)
Recycling and Jobs
- 2013 Bottled Up Report (2013)
- “Returning to Work: Understanding the Jobs Impacts from Different Methods of Recycling Beverage Containers” (December 2011)
Glass Container Recycling Industry
- Clear Solutions: Moving Towards Improved Glass Recovery (September 2014)
- GPI: Saving Our Resources - Consumer Attitudes and Beliefs on Recycling and the Enviroment (April 2014)
- “New Life for Glass” (January 16, 2012)